Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:19 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Has anyone used an FRFR?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:21 pm 
Kramer Maniac

I have been looking into some options for my Kemper. I've been thinking about a power amp (I have the unpowered Kemper) and a cabinet. Both of those options "color" the sound, either a little or a lot.

I was looking into the FRFR world, adn decided to give the new Headrush FRFR a shot. It's basically a rebranded Alto, with an extra 1000 watts.

There are other options, including newer models that have built in IR loaders. This kind of defeats the purpose of an FRFR, but I understand the allure. These days, you can buy a pedal that uses IRs, for less than $150.

The Headrush is on backorder until the end of the month, so I can't give it any kind of review yet.

Have any of you used an FRFR?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:59 pm 
Kramer Kommander

Not me but dude... 2000W? Huge amount of power :yikes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:22 am 
Kramer Maniac

It's slated to be delivered tomorrow. I'll put it through some paces and compare it against my monitors to see if there is any difference. I'll try to do a recording of the same thing through the monitors and then through the FRFR. I'll mic it with an SM57 on the cone, and see if there is any difference in the DAW.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:47 am 
Kramer Maniac

Finally got around to opening the HeadRush FRFR. Put it outside on my deck, along with my strat and my Zoom Lynch Pedal. Took longer to find a extra decent surge protector in my house than it did to unbox and plug everything in.

I started with a clean patch, just to see how the minimal settings were. I was happy to see that you can get some no-ear-splitting room level settings between 0 and 1 rather easily. Now it came time to push it a little. First up to 2, which is a nice decent level for screwing around on the deck.

But, why stop there. I tried 3, then 4. Level 4 was loud enough that the garbage men, who were on the next street noticed me immediately. It also gave an excellent amount of feedback on the guitar, without needing to put the guitar right next to it. Granted, I was only about 4 feet away, but it was loud enough for the neighbors to hear it at least 6 houses down.

At that point, I had to bail. It’s expected to be around 100 degrees today, and it felt every bit of it around 11:30. I’ll push it some more another time. Definitely going to crank it on July 4th for the Star Spangled Banner.

One thing really made me laugh. I didn’t notice it before, but the levels go to 11. It’s one better than 10

So far, I really like it. I’ll be doing many more tests, and then do a comparison between my studio monitors and the HeadRush mic’d into my DAW to see if there are any tonal differences. Eventually, I’ll do a full review. Right now, it’s just too new, and any (honest) reviews would be skewed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:57 am 
Kramer Maniac

I put the HeadRush FRFR through some paces yesterday. I played the Star Spangled Banner at around level 7, and it's very loud.

Later, I finally got it to 11, and hit an E barre chord. I was thrilled to find that it still held together perfectly. No distortion whatsoever. I was thrilled. The neighbors and their parties were not :)

I then plugged in my acoustic guitar directly, and although I needed to crank it up to about 6 to get a really nice, loud signal, it sounded great.

I am very happy with it so far, and the next step is to mic the monitors and the FRFR to see if there is any differences. I'll record a couple of tracks, and do some reamping to test different amps, etc., in an attempt to get a very thorough test.