Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:36 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:27 am 
Kramer Kingpin

Seems like the financial noose around Gibson´s neck tightens.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/music-business/article/20992105/gibson-running-out-of-time-rapidly

Like someone on another forum said "Fender should buy Gibson. They know how to get the job done properly". Since QC seems to be a growing issue over the last years for the off-the-rack Gibbies and they don´t seem capable of making sound business decisions, this might not be such a bad idea at all shrug .

But wait and see. They´ll go into Chapter 11 if the debt can´t be managed soon. After that, ... well that´s anyone´s guess.

Great Deals with MrWhipper, JoeyM, Del Hudson, skydive69 and Kramer Classic I :thumbs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:37 am 
Kramer Maniac

I should not comment on this.
It is like opening pandora's box.
As bad as the Norlin era of Gibson was, 1970-1983. At least those guitars were still made reasonably well. To put it simply, the parts were put in the correct places.
After the move to Nashville, not so great.
This is not the company of Ted Mccarty.
If you KNOW guitars. The guitars made today by Gibson are NOT made like older ones, (spec wise).
In my Professional opinion. These guitars are not made correctly. The guitars are also setup worse than any other guitar factory on earth.
If you do own a Gibson made since 1983. If you have never had a professional setup. YOU SHOULD RUN, not walk to your nearest guitar tech/luthier.
Your guitar can play great, and sound great, after a pro setup.
If you never had a setup done on your Gibson. You have no idea what you are missing.
As for Gibson's financials.
They have ruined every company they have ever owned.

90 ProAxe Std CR
87 Ripley Blk
89 Sustainer Blk
84 Baretta BLK
85 Baretta CR
86 Focus 1000 Blk
84 Focus 1000 CR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:53 am 

Quote:
Electric guitar makers are seeing their sales steadily plummet. Leading guitar companies Fender and Gibson are both in debt; Fender was forced to abandon a public offering in 2012, and Gibson’s annual revenue fell from $2.1 billion to $1.7 billion over just the last three years. Guitar Center, the largest chain of its kind, is $1.6 billion in the red.

I'm not too worried. People have been predicting the demise of Gibson for years. They've all had good and bad spans.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:04 am 
Kramer Kommander

I keep hearing about QC issues but I've yet to witness a single one. I owned half a dozen newer Gibsons in the last 1-2 decades and they were all top-notch, as was every single one I played in shops. Thus I don't understand the fuss. I think people have wrong expectations, they want to sound like Slash or Page just by owning an LP.

Someone in the administration wants to bring Gibson down, the bashing regarding the woods issue has been going on for years now. No other manufacturer was treated like that, despite them using even more exotic and less documented woods then Gibson. Go figure.

There is no better deal anywhere than their cheaper faded models, they cost as much as an Epiphone and give you all the tonal goodness and quality pups, HW and woods. It's the real deal for like $600-700, no other manufacturer can match that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:25 am 
Kramer Maniac

I hadn't realised they had pulled the plug on Cakewalk. I can't imagine how that made any financial sense.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:26 am 
Kramer Maniac

[quote="_xxx_"]I keep hearing about QC issues but I've yet to witness a single one.

I agree with this. I bought a new tribute t from sweetwater, its great. the pups are awesome and the fretwork was perfect from the plekk machine. Mine does not have binding and gloss or any other of the things I commonly hear people complain about, but where it matters most-sound and playability, I have yet to see any new guitar in the same price range ($800- i think) come close.

All the ones I see in the stores are either super nice, or obviously damaged by the patrons or store techs.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:19 pm 
Kramer Maniac

I believe Gibson is too far gone now.
The end of it is inevitable and foreseeable.

A friend just picked up a new LP standard for just a little over 2K CDN. I also saw a brand new SG in the store for just over 1K.
I thought it was weird that the prices appeared to take a dive.

This may explain that pricing?

Anyhow ... I have a WAD o' cash just waiting for the prices to come down on some of the nicer LPs.

good dealings with xbolt, Mr80's, Coloradoman25, kb7010, PacerPete, dan, skydive69, Vej, popvamp, Ianreed99, mnorton999, pablo_neruda, Amerturk, DarthPhineas,

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:57 pm 
Kramer Kingpin

I feel for the workers & employees of the various companies Gibby owns....never knowing if when they show up to work, the doors might be locked. :nono

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:39 pm 
Kramer Maniac

This is irony.
We are all fans of the guitars made by a company named Kramer.
A company that was the largest guitar company in the world during the 1980's. This company went out of business.

Just goes to show, you are never too big to fail.
It can happen to anyone.
We will see. I hope they don't go out of business, but it is possible.

90 ProAxe Std CR
87 Ripley Blk
89 Sustainer Blk
84 Baretta BLK
85 Baretta CR
86 Focus 1000 Blk
84 Focus 1000 CR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:13 pm 
Kramer Kommander

There is a difference, after all Gibson invented the electric guitar.