Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:06 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Charvel CX 592?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:36 am 
Kramer Maniac

I know it's not Kramer related, but can anybody provide any info on this guitar? I've never owned a Charvel. I guess the CX series (392, 592, 692 depending on pup config) were MIJ, but any additional insights from you guys? There is one locally that appears to be in great shape at a good price, thinking I might go grab it. What are the necks like? This one has RW board and "eagle beak" headstock. Would the tremolo specs accept a Floyd as drop-in replacement, or would that even be advisable?
Thanks!!
I've got mostly only red and black guitars around here, so I'm stoked about the idea of having a blue one (stupid, I know), but more than that, it might be a good opportunity to get into my first Charvel. Seller is the original owner and says this hasn't been played much.

Classic II red Tele
Ferrington red Tele
81 Pioneer Bass
various Foci
various pieces parts...
Bastards:
Ed Sheeran Sig Martin LX1E, 1st ed.
Billie Joe Armstrong Gibson LP Jr, 1st year

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:28 am 
Kramer Kommander

Asian model, rather low-budget. Nothing like a real Charvel, kinda like Aerostar in Kramer terms. I'd pass and get a real one, at least a japanese pointy.

The neck is thin and fast but no tonewood. I had one of those and sold it rather fast because the tone was like cardboard.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:01 am 
Kramer Kingpin

Yep, low-end stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:23 am 
Kramer Kommander

Jim, you'll have to call me some time. I know a little about charvel.
And I own several killer ones. The Japanese stuff is awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:38 am 
Kramer Maniac

OK thanks, guys. That is very helpful and much appreciated.
I have a tendency to get distracted by shiny objects, and probably what I really need to do is just work on some of the many projects I already have going on.

Classic II red Tele
Ferrington red Tele
81 Pioneer Bass
various Foci
various pieces parts...
Bastards:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:46 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Can’t believe I missed this. Guys - let me know if you have any Charvel questions. I learn a lot from all of you here about Kramer, hopefully I can pass my knowledge of Charvel along.

Doc - I see some will disagree with me, but in my opinion these are great bang for your buck. My first guitar was a Charvel CSM1-G which is the same family as the CX series. I know there are people who hate basswood and all like guitars (Ibanez), and these Charvel are basswood so keep that in mind. But the construction (neck pocket, fretboard, finish) on these guitars are amazing considering the price -these are made in Japan. The hardware actually isn’t bad either. At the time Charvel was using Gotoh tuners on these guitars / phenolic- resin nuts (or locking). The best part of the guitar is the neck. 1 5/8 nut width, thin C profile that is just so perfect. It’s a pain to pull the neck for adjustments, but in the 26 years I’ve owned mine, it’s been very stable. I pull it off maybe once every 3-4 years, and we have the changing seasons here in NY. The major detractor is the electronics. I can see what others say about the sound when you have a light basswood body and lifeless pickups. I finally recently upgraded mine to EMGs, and the guitar is a beast. My Charvel model 4 is definitely a more solid axe, but for the price, I think you get a ton of guitar in the CX series. I see these under $200 all the time and they are a steal. Especially considering the model series started getting more expensive. I paid $300 for a mint condition 1986 Model 4 about 4 years ago, I see them now (in poor condition) starting at around $500.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:00 pm 
Kramer Maniac

To answer your question about the tremolo I would drop a Gotoh in there.

Since you never owned a Charvel, you should really get one. If you want pointy 80s it’s the model series, if you can find a model 4 around $400 grab it.
Their current line up is fantastic. I have had USA, Japan and México promod series, there is no discernible difference. If anything I prefer the México for its better features. I called Sweetwater and asked for a discount on my last ProMod and got it brand new for $700 shipped. Includes body mounted SD pickups, Floyd (Korean which I don’t mind), coil splitting, no load tone pot, and that amazing Strat head unfinished maple neck. I have yet to play the new dinky models but I can’t wait.
There are also high quality older models to check out such as the fusion. Excellent build quality, 24.75 scale, thin neck, somewhat of a Proaxe feel to it and you can still grab them for $400-500.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:02 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Hunter008 wrote:

What Charvel do you own? I have model series, toothpaste logo, custom shop, promod and my first guitar the CSM1-G. Love them all.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:05 pm 
Kramer Kommander

Axeman wrote:
Hunter008 wrote:

What Charvel do you own? I have model series, toothpaste logo, custom shop, promod and my first guitar the CSM1-G. Love them all.

I own 2 toothpaste 650xls and a 750xl. :thumbs

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:04 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Thanks, fellas! I communicated with the girl who owns this, she seems straightforward and genuine, says this is MIJ, she purchased new in 91 or 92, and apparently it didn't get played much. It has Grover tuners if that means anything. There is some finish checking between the pickups, presumably from temp changes while she had it in storage. I can get it for a buck fifty. I was set to pick it up last week, but then she had family emergency and had to fly to deal with that, so the plan is she will contact me when she gets back. For the price, it seems like a no-brainer way to get introduced to this brand. Worst case scenario I'll yank the neck and put it on something else with a Floyd.
I appreciate you guys for the information and encouragement.

Classic II red Tele
Ferrington red Tele
81 Pioneer Bass
various Foci
various pieces parts...
Bastards: