Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:03 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: NGD - ESP LTD GL-500T
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:34 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Yesterday, after work, I went to pick up the ESP GL-500T guitar that I ordered from Guitar Center, used. The guitar came from Washington (state). I was a little tentative about seeing the guitar in person, since there were n't any detailed photos. The product was listed as GOOD condition*. Good condition states that there can be surface scratches, dings and dents.

I figured since it was around a 15 year old guitar, there would be some scratches, dents, etc. My main fear was that, here on the east coast, I have seen used guitars at Guitar Center listed in excellent condition, that were so bad, they should never be showing them, let alone stating they are in excellent condition.

The guitar was priced around what a used 200-series guitar would sell for used. So, I decided to buy it, without detailed photos. I always had the option to refuse the order. The guitar center manager got it for me. The guitar was shipped in an ESP box, which was a nice touch. The ESP case was in good shape. It had some dings and scratches, but overall it was in good shape, just like most of my cases that I've used over the years.

Now came the moment of truth, seeing the condition of the guitar. I held my breath, and opened the case. To my surprise, there wasn't a single scratch, ding or dent on the front of the guitar. I picked it up, and checked closer. Not a scratch on the front. The back had some very light belt rash. Some of my guitars have way worse. The only cosmetic thing that I noticed was 2 VERY small chips on the back. Both were about the size of a ball point pen tip. One on the back a couple of inches from the tremolo plate, and the other near the jack plate. Both could be fixed in about 5 minutes, but honestly, I doubt I'll ever bother, since you'll never notice them unless you look for them.

Next came the neck. The frets were in GREAT shape. The only "issue" I found was that I slightly felt the second fret end on my hand. Another 2 minute job the fix.

It played really well. Not a single buzz on the neck. The neck is definitely different from my GL-500K Kamikaze. The Kamikaze neck is slightly wider.

I then plugged it in, but I wasn't worried about it. I knew I was replacing the stock pickups. The humbucker will be replaced with a JB(TB), and the neck will be replaced with either a hot rail, or a JB Jr. Haven't made up my mind. I have an extra JB around, so that'll be the first pickup to be changed during the initial setup. To my surprise, the original Duncan Designed humbucker wasn't bad at all. It's still being replaced, but it really didn't sound bad. The neck pickup lacked any punch at all, and it may or not be changed, since I rarely use the neck pickup.

Finally, the last thing that I checked was the Floyd Rose Pro tremolo. I fully expected the knife edges to be shot, and I was right. When the knife edges are shot, the tremolo doesn't come back to pitch after using it. If you divebomb, the note comes back flat. If you pull back, the note returns sharp. I checked to make sure the locking nut wasn't slipping, which would cause the same symptom, and it wasn't slipping. So, the Floyd needs to be replaced.

I have a Floyd in great condition in a guitar I'm selling, so I'll pull that one out, put that one in the Lynch, and replace it with a Floyd Special.

All in all, I can't be happier with the guitar. I'll know more after I open it up, and do a full setup, etc. But right now, it's in much better shape than I anticipated, and I know it's going to be a great guitar for many years to come.

More pictures will follow in a few days.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:39 pm 
Kramer Kommander

Great Deals with MrWhipper, JoeyM, Del Hudson, skydive69 and Kramer Classic I :thumbs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:17 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Very nice. :thumbs These are great guitars for the money. I have a GL-200 Kamikaze and I totally love it.......

........my wife hates the graphics and says I should have bought the tiger. shrug

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:21 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Thanks guys. Totally thrilled.

Have you tried a 500 series? IMO, it's a whole other league. I now have 2, this one, and a Kamikaze (GL-500K).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:27 pm 
Kramer Kommander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:42 am 
Kramer Maniac

Love it

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:43 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Beautiful guitar!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:13 pm 
Kramer Maniac

lespauled wrote:
Thanks guys. Totally thrilled.

Have you tried a 500 series? IMO, it's a whole other league. I now have 2, this one, and a Kamikaze (GL-500K).

I didn't even realize there was a 500 series. I've never seen/played one before.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:35 pm 
Kramer Maniac

They we made in the early 2000s. Fantastic guitars. I have a 500 Kamikaze, and thought about getting a 200 series tiger. It's a noticeable difference in quality. I held out, and am thankful that I did.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:03 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Nice buy there! I picked up the newer LTD gl-200sbt about a year ago now and I couldn't be happier with it. A lot of guitar for not a lot of cash. Plus the stock ESP pups are actually pretty decent and I havn't felt the need to replace them.

Check out my Soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/jarrod-beauchemin
Or Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/javamony