Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:53 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: 1981 Pacer Strat Head
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:58 am 
Kramer Kingpin

Still needs a Floyd. :whistle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:26 am 
Kramer Maniac

louieatienza wrote:
Pcruis1 wrote:
louieatienza wrote:
Pretty sure Eric Ernest owned this one at one time. Nice one...

Now that you say that.... He sent me some pics a few weeks ago of some of the Pacers he once owned, and I'm pretty sure that was one he sent me a picture of.
As a follow up to another post you made, is there any insight as to why the big collectors have been selling off?

Eric had (and probably still has) some of the coolest stuff. Pretty controversial figure back when the Charvel and Kramer scene where red hot. But he had the stuff you couldn't find.

I can only speculate. Prices on some stuff hasn't moved - in years. The unicorns will likely stay very desirable, like the early non-tilt Baretta, NightSwan, Liberty. But there's a Triax sitting for a LONG time, and they only made a dozen or so (not including the Ed Roman fakes!) Carreras were a top-of-the-line thing for Kramer; today you could buy one for less than what they sold for. Same thing with most Pacers, except Specials. Barettas will always be popular, as well as Stagemaster archtops, certain Kline graphics.

So sure, if you want to collect these guitars, they're great! Nothing like tangible assets. I think the risk is low - you're not going to lose a lot of money if that. But there are far more collectibles (and investments) that give a better ROI than Kramers.

I wish I knew more about Eric. He sent me the photographs of all the Kramers he owned, but I think he said he has sold most of them. I believe I own two that he owned at one time. I gather he's big on the old Les Pauls these days. I'm not a collector, but I buy these Pacers because they are great guitars relative to what you can buy them for - plus the history of Kramer is a perfect representation of the 1980s music scene (and maybe the 80s in general): excess, glam, crash and burn, etc.

1981 Pacer Strat Head Sunburst
1982 Pacer Graphic Beak
83/86 Molested Pacer - TransRed Beak
1984 Pacer Candy Red Hockey
1984 Pacer Blue Hockey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:27 am 
Kramer Maniac

sixstring wrote:
Still needs a Floyd. :whistle

I knew that was coming!! :bling

1982 Pacer Graphic Beak
1984 Pacer Blue Hockey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:42 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Pcruis1 wrote:
I wish I knew more about Eric. He sent me the photographs of all the Kramers he owned, but I think he said he has sold most of them. I believe I own two that he owned at one time. I gather he's big on the old Les Pauls these days. I'm not a collector, but I buy these Pacers because they are great guitars relative to what you can buy them for - plus the history of Kramer is a perfect representation of the 1980s music scene (and maybe the 80s in general): excess, glam, crash and burn, etc.

He has/had a shop in South Carolina. Had many great dealings with him over almost 20 years. He collected a lot of off-beat, one-off, prototype stuff, and got lambasted by a couple folks on the JCF, Charvel Central, and original Kramer Forum. Probably because he wasn't afraid to speak his mind, and he seemed to find what everyone else wanted though you had to PAY for it!

I like Pacers as well. Back in the 90s-early 2000s, the Deluxe (pickguard, H-S-S) didn't get a lot of respect, though today there seems to be more interest in them. Imperials are great and was Eddie's choice early on; though today they're worth more chopped. But again, aside from the unicorns, collect them because you love them. Collecting Kramers as a wet dream of early retirement is probably not the best thing to do.

There's still a stigma associated with Kramers, as even today the ignorami will claim that pointy Kramers are all made of plywood. Unfortunately this was brought on by Kramer themselves, who decided to slap a Neptune, NJ plate on every guitar - following the footsteps of Charvel/Jackson and Schecter. And that's after trying to escape the stigma of the nana heads with the slipped scarf joint issue.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:40 pm 

I have known Eric for many years, and he has mostly sold off his cool Kramers. He still deals in vintage gear, most notably 50's Gibsons, including bursts. And he still has tons of vintage guitar parts, some of which are unobtainium purchased from the original Gibson factory in MI.

The market for most used guitars is down a bit compared to a few years ago. Kramers for the most part didn't take off like some thought they would. Whether it is due to all of the outsourcing (LaSido, ESP, etc), the obvious connection with 80s metal, or other reasons. The good news is that Kramer lovers can still buy quality USA-made Kramers for very reasonable prices.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:24 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Well, I was wrong. The one I was thinking of that was owned by Eric is actually for sale on Reverb right now: https://reverb.com/item/5120938-1981-kramer-pacer-vintage-series-guitar-burgandy-prototype
Crazy to look at his other listings.

1982 Pacer Graphic Beak
1984 Pacer Blue Hockey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:18 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Pcruis1 wrote:
Well, I was wrong. The one I was thinking of that was owned by Eric is actually for sale on Reverb right now: https://reverb.com/item/5120938-1981-kramer-pacer-vintage-series-guitar-burgandy-prototype
Crazy to look at his other listings.

Yes.... know about that one, but I'm pretty sure he owned the one in question...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:29 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Anyone remember what it went for? The reverb link doesn't show the guitar or the price. I have a Strat head Pacer Custom that Eric owned as well and am trying to find some price points for which to sell it at.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:24 am 
Kramer Maniac

All sorts of variables from what I've seen, but they generally get listed on reverb around 1000-1200, but more for proto, early serial, etc. They do not sell quickly and do not sell for asking price - generally....
They are my favorite of any Kramer, but I think I'm in the minority on that front.

1982 Pacer Graphic Beak
1984 Pacer Blue Hockey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:23 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Pcruis1 wrote:
All sorts of variables from what I've seen, but they generally get listed on reverb around 1000-1200, but more for proto, early serial, etc. They do not sell quickly and do not sell for asking price - generally....
They are my favorite of any Kramer, but I think I'm in the minority on that front.

Awesome, thx.
I'm hoping to atleast get what I paid for it, possibly a little less.
I've bought tons of stuff from reverb but I don't do PayPal so probably impossible to sell it there.

Maybe my local guitar shop will broker it for me on their reverb page.
Eric is a friend of mine on FB, he gave me some info on the Melaga Purple Voyager that I own. Both the Pacer and Voyager belonged to him years ago.