Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 10:59 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:04 am 
Kramer Maniac

Scored this off Craigslist yesterday for $75. Had only been listed a couple hours and when I saw the pic of body and neck plate, I knew what it was. Added bonus as seller was only 3 blocks from my house.

Some pleasant surprises:
1. It's got a German FRII, so that at least is not total garbage.
2. It's got a vintage Schaller humbucker. It looks different from vintage Golden 50s that I have, and it measures much hotter at 13.11 and has 4 leads. I should have played it a bit to hear it out, but I got impatient and just tore down the guitar straight away.
Does anybody know what pickup this is?

3. This neck, whatever it is, looks and feels really nice. Sweet ebony fretboard, great frets, nice feeling finish on the back of it, and I believe it has a two-way truss rod. The inlays and side markers are aluminum. Neck profile is thin and flat like a wizard neck. The no-name matte black finish is clean and might be factory? So this neck is a mystery to me, as I don't recognize the HS shape, but it appears surprisingly good quality. It has an unusual coloration/grain on the back of the HS, not sure what that means.

Can anybody help me ID this neck?

4. Best part was that the body exceeded my expectations in terms of salvageability. The DIY graphic was a pain in the ass to remove, as it was thick multi-layer hand painting over a rattle can base. Two hours of hard elbow grease, but eventually it came off. The Focus 1000 body underneath is in great condition with virtually no scratches or dings, and I can't believe how good it looks. Floyd posts do lean so I'll install inserts. The main issue is a long scratch that looks like a razor blade was used in some manner when the graphic went on. I imagine it would probably sand out, but I don't wanna get bogged down in perfectionism so will probably just leave it like it is for now. Plus the body looks pretty amazing even with the razor line.

So stoked about this! My first quality electric guitar was a black Focus 1000 purchased new in 1985, so this feels a bit like coming home. I've got a few options for necks, hoping to build it up this weekend and use it to test out a DiMarzio Evolution that I have on loan from new forum member Cornbread after he put that JB his white Baretta last month.

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated, as always, especially if you can help me ID this neck. I'll probably sell or trade it, and it helps to know what I have. Also lemme know if anybody interested in trading me a good single-coil for these Sperzel locking tuners.

Classic II red Tele
Ferrington red Tele
81 Pioneer Bass
various Foci
various pieces parts...
Bastards:
Ed Sheeran Sig Martin LX1E, 1st ed.
Billie Joe Armstrong Gibson LP Jr, 1st year

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:25 am 
Kramer Kommander

It's Schaller 2in1 as used in Pacer Deluxe models and a wonderful Carvin replacement neck - real quality stuff, rock maple + ebony + graphite nut :headbang That's wood veneer on top of the headstock, not black finish. See here: https://www.kieselguitars.com/kits/

And nice set of Sperzels on top - that was the deal of the month for sure, just the tuners cost $75. Carvin neck is $200 new and the pickup at least $50 used. The trem is asian trash but the rest is awesome. Give it a good alder strat body and a Wilkinson VS-100 trem and you'll have a killer guitar.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:32 am 
Kramer Kingpin

Good catch. The Sperzels alone almost cover that deal. Schaller Pup and Carvin Neck to boot :thumbs .

Great Deals with MrWhipper, JoeyM, Del Hudson, skydive69 and Kramer Classic I :thumbs

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:18 pm 
Kramer Kommander

Score!
Don't think its a carvin neck, too pointy at the end shrug ....close though.
Don't matter for the price. :hit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:30 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Quote:
wonderful Carvin replacement neck - real quality stuff, rock maple + ebony + graphite nut :headbang That's wood veneer on top of the headstock, not black finish. See here: https://www.kieselguitars.com/kits/

Yup, that's it! Thanks so much!!!
Feeling so lucky with this score, and my whole week at work was a shit show, so what a nice way to end it.

Not concerned much with the junky FRII, but it is stamped on top "made in Germany by Schaller," so is that a bogus claim?

Classic II red Tele
Ferrington red Tele
81 Pioneer Bass
various Foci
various pieces parts...
Bastards:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:10 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Quote:
too pointy at the end

I do agree with this observation.
However; in every other aspect, it is a match for the description provided by _xxx_ and for the attached link. Same veneer on HS as he described, same metal inlays and side markers as described in the link, same as other aspects of description and pics. So a bit of mystery remains around the mystery neck, but this seems like confirmation of the quality that is felt in hand, and I'm confident saying that it likely came out of the same factory one way or another.
One aspect that was not obvious in my original pics was the unusual grain pattern on back of HS. What do you guys make of this? Seems interesting that the coloration appears to correspond somewhat with the placement of the tuners.

Classic II red Tele
Ferrington red Tele
81 Pioneer Bass
various Foci
various pieces parts...
Bastards:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:35 pm 
Kramer Maniac

It's got the non locking FRII but you can swap out the saddles for locking ones (they need the fat Schaller locking screws). Guess it'll need a locking nut fitting too.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:41 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Doc wrote:
Quote:

Not concerned much with the junky FRII, but it is stamped on top "made in Germany by Schaller," so is that a bogus claim?

Nope, some FRII's were made in Germany, use the baseplate, change the saddles to full locking type & you'll have a good useable German Floyd :thumbs

Great score btw & that body came up real good, I'd have a go at reducing the impact of that scratch deffo :thumbs

Oh & I nearly forgot, I have a nice maple board nanner neck off a JK4000 that would look killer on that body, just sand out the JK4000 & your away :mrgreen

'86 Retta, Black
'87 Retta, Shattered Glass
'86 Focus 2000, Hot Pink
'87 JK1000, Red
'10 Pacer Classic, white

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:47 pm 
Kramer Kommander

sixstring wrote:
Score!
Don't think its a carvin neck, too pointy at the end shrug ....close though.
Don't matter for the price. :hit

Older Carvins were pointy, the more rounded shape came mid-90's. I owned the same one as pictured above on one of my old strats and ordered it directly from the factory myself. No doubt there, it is a Carvin neck. See example here: https://reverb.com/item/6059639-carvin- ... ite-kiesel

Not sure about the trem, I have one without the Schaller/Germany stamp so I ass-umed it's the same one. Mine was korean-made as it seems. Schaller should have real knife edges, while the korean ones only have two rectangular plates inserted instead of the full half-moon knife edge.

The back of the HS looks like someone tried to finish it and failed, maybe oil or shellac or such smeared on. Badly done job, just sand it off and give it some fresh oil/wax :thumbs

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:57 pm 
Kramer Kommander

Stain looks like it could be oil leaking from or applied to free up locking tuners. shrug
Those scratches will buff out. :thumbs