86 deluxe with maple board

Discussion about Kramer Guitars on eBay, Craigslist, and online. Fake or Rare, you will see them here.
AAEA
Kramer Kommander

86 deluxe with maple board

Post by AAEA » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:06 am

found this one. comes from a good source. these guys are usualy better than Guitar Center with descriptions and packing and shipping.

not too many 86 logo maple boards out there. shit I might snag this one.

https://www.musicgoround.com/product/41 ... uitars-red
I own kramers :mrgreen

sixstring
Kramer Kingpin

Re: 86 deluxe with maple board

Post by sixstring » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:55 am

Not a bad price. :thumbs
But let's face it, someone buys a Kramer b/c it has a Floyd.

Holzar88
Kramer Maniac

Post by Holzar88 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:57 am

Old new guy here. I had about 3,000 posts on the old board, but just never registered here.

Anyway, I live in Colorado Springs and I'm going to try to check this one out today. I was a bit concerned with the neck marks/stains. If we m able to see it, I'll try to report back.

Del Hudson
Kramer Maniac

Post by Del Hudson » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:32 am

Welcome to the new forum Holzar. I remember you from the old forum. Glad you found your way back here.
I strum, therefore, I can't shred!

Holzar88
Kramer Maniac

Post by Holzar88 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:39 am

Thanks! I'll post some pics of my current rig soon.

Holzar88
Kramer Maniac

Post by Holzar88 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:12 pm

Alright ...

So I checked it out. It's a bit of a mixed bag, though more positive than negative.

Neck was straight. Frets had quite a bit of wear; not done, but hardly fresh. Could probably do with a refret.

The biggest mark on the fretboard near the low E was gunk of some kind that would scrape off with a good cleaning. The other marks were actually wear in the fretboard, none of which affected playability.

The body looked really good, save for one considerable ding on the lower horn.

The biggest drawback, which I hadn't noticed from the pics because I wasn't looking closely, was that someone has stolen the OFR and replaced it with a generic, no-name variety. Wouldn't necessarily be a deal killer, but it definitely made the overall package a couple steps less attractive to me. I was really on the edge on this one until I noticed that.

Another thing you can't tell from the picture is that lower front edge of the pickguard has a bit of warp to it, which creates a small gap.

Its a solvable issue, but not without either buying a Floyd or installing a spare if you happen to have one (which I'm pretty sure some of you guys certainly do!)

Build-wise, it seemed really solid and played nicely. Played through a small Marshall DSL 15C (one of the newer ones). It played and sounded exactly as you'd expect this axe of this vintage to play and sound. Electronics all worked, no scratchy pots.

So that's the 411 one on this one.

By way of comparison, I stopped at another local store that just started selling Kramers. These were the first Gibson Kramers I'd played. I played a Nightswan and a 1984. I was really more impressed than I expected to be with both. The Nightswan, especially, was really nice. Coincidentally, it was the same price as the used '86 at Musicgoround. As cool as vintage mojo is, for the same money, the Nightswan seemed like a better value to me.

Then again, playing a brand new guitar back to back with a somewhat beaten up 34-year-old model isn't really a straight comparison. It also helped that I was playing into a Mesa Boogie V25 and a big cab instead of a small 15-watt Vietnamese Marshall combo. (Although, that said, I've played the 40CRs a bunch, and they nail the Marshall sound; this one was pretty buzzy, though.)

I told the folks at Musicgoround I thought the Kramer was priced a bit high since the OFR was gone. Doubt that'll effect pricing, but it was worth a shot. And with what Kramer prices have done since was last engaged closely with them four or five years ago, maybe it's not unfairly priced even with those issues and lack of an Original Floyd Rose.

So that's the scoop. Not terrible. Not minty. Just a reasonably solid old Pacer Deluxe, which seem to be getting harder to find these days. Maybe I'll pick it up after all. Then again, the new Kramers I played raised my interest in the SM-1 and the Jersey Star. I've got a bunch of Guitar Center credit and could pick up either one of those for almost nothing. We'll see. Think I'm back in the Kramer fold though after flirting with the dark (read: Ibanez, I know, I know) side for a few years.

Adam

80sChris
Kramer Kommander

Post by 80sChris » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:48 pm

Welcome back! I'm happy to see a few Ibanez photos if you have any.

Frontline205

Post by Frontline205 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:58 pm

Holzar88 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:12 pm Alright ...

So I checked it out. It's a bit of a mixed bag, though more positive than negative.

Neck was straight. Frets had quite a bit of wear; not done, but hardly fresh. Could probably do with a refret.

The biggest mark on the fretboard near the low E was gunk of some kind that would scrape off with a good cleaning. The other marks were actually wear in the fretboard, none of which affected playability.

The body looked really good, save for one considerable ding on the lower horn.

The biggest drawback, which I hadn't noticed from the pics because I wasn't looking closely, was that someone has stolen the OFR and replaced it with a generic, no-name variety. Wouldn't necessarily be a deal killer, but it definitely made the overall package a couple steps less attractive to me. I was really on the edge on this one until I noticed that.

Another thing you can't tell from the picture is that lower front edge of the pickguard has a bit of warp to it, which creates a small gap.

Its a solvable issue, but not without either buying a Floyd or installing a spare if you happen to have one (which I'm pretty sure some of you guys certainly do!)

Build-wise, it seemed really solid and played nicely. Played through a small Marshall DSL 15C (one of the newer ones). It played and sounded exactly as you'd expect this axe of this vintage to play and sound. Electronics all worked, no scratchy pots.

So that's the 411 one on this one.

By way of comparison, I stopped at another local store that just started selling Kramers. These were the first Gibson Kramers I'd played. I played a Nightswan and a 1984. I was really more impressed than I expected to be with both. The Nightswan, especially, was really nice. Coincidentally, it was the same price as the used '86 at Musicgoround. As cool as vintage mojo is, for the same money, the Nightswan seemed like a better value to me.

Then again, playing a brand new guitar back to back with a somewhat beaten up 34-year-old model isn't really a straight comparison. It also helped that I was playing into a Mesa Boogie V25 and a big cab instead of a small 15-watt Vietnamese Marshall combo. (Although, that said, I've played the 40CRs a bunch, and they nail the Marshall sound; this one was pretty buzzy, though.)

I told the folks at Musicgoround I thought the Kramer was priced a bit high since the OFR was gone. Doubt that'll effect pricing, but it was worth a shot. And with what Kramer prices have done since was last engaged closely with them four or five years ago, maybe it's not unfairly priced even with those issues and lack of an Original Floyd Rose.

So that's the scoop. Not terrible. Not minty. Just a reasonably solid old Pacer Deluxe, which seem to be getting harder to find these days. Maybe I'll pick it up after all. Then again, the new Kramers I played raised my interest in the SM-1 and the Jersey Star. I've got a bunch of Guitar Center credit and could pick up either one of those for almost nothing. We'll see. Think I'm back in the Kramer fold though after flirting with the dark (read: Ibanez, I know, I know) side for a few years.

Adam
If you don’t mind me asking I’m in Fort Collins which store did you go to that sells newer Kramers?

menace
KF ADMIN

Post by menace » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:07 pm

I've got a bunch of Guitar Center credit
You better be using that up quick..... :whistle
It's not really hoarding if your shit is cool....

Holzar88
Kramer Maniac

Post by Holzar88 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:01 pm

80sChris wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:48 pm Welcome back! I'm happy to see a few Ibanez photos if you have any.
I'll get a heard pic up soon. I've got one Ibanez in basic black, two F-3000s, both maple, blue and nuclear yellow.