Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:46 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:04 am 
Kramer Maniac

So I've had one of these new range DSL20 combo's for a couple of weeks now, the main reason for buying is due to not wanting to pull a load of heavy gear around anymore :nono

I've gotta say it's a very very good piece of kit, it has all the gain on the "ultra" channel that I need, so just requires running a delay & eq pedal for solo boost in the loop which it does really well :thumbs The main problem with the older DSL's were that the gain got a bit too fizzy when it was wound up, this has been addressed very well, it still sounds a little fizzy at low bedroom volumes but once you crank it up then this disappears leaving you with a lovely Marshall growl a la the old 80's JCM800 type :mrgreen

As to does it hold it's own in a band environment with it only being 20watts..........hell yeah, we have one of the loudest drummers I've ever played with & it copes admireably, admittedly it's wound up to somewhere around 7/8 on the volume level but that just means you're getting those valves cooking & producing their best tone, it has 3 x 12ax7's in the preamp & 2 x EL34's in the power section :headbang

It also has a good range of eq, the usual Treble, Middle, Bass, Presence along with resonance & it has a tone shift button which changes the overall voicing from a traditional Marshall tone to a more modern slightly scooped mids Hi Gain tone which to me sounds a bit thin, the full on Marshall tone is where this little amp shines :thumbs

The classic gain channel is also well useable as either a clean channel with minimal gain dialled in all the way up to just about break up when the gain is wound fully to 10, put a tube screamer in front & you'll get a pretty good blues/70's rock tone, only drawback is it doesn't have it's own eq but simply shares with the "ultra" gain channel so does need a little tweak here & there.

There is also an onboard studio quality digital reverb which is very useable, you need to wind it up to around 7 for it to impact on the sound but it does sound real nice. :thumbs

It also has a half power mode (10 watt) which looses none of your tone, it works by cutting voltage to the power section so your dialled in tone stays exactly the same, prety useful for home practice or studio useage :thumbs

The only let down is the crappy Celestion 70/80 speaker, I've swapped that out for a Vintage 30 & that is a vast improvement :headbang

All in all I'm well happy with it, it's exceeded my expectation & will now become my main gigging amp, no more heavy lifting with a seperate head & 2x12 cab :mrgreen

'86 Retta, Black
'86 Retta, Bubbles
'87 Retta, Shattered Glass
'87 Retta, The Fly
'86 Focus 2000, Hot Pink
'87 JK1000, Red
'14 Pacer Classic, white, modded

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:27 am 
Kramer Kingpin

That sounds like a pretty good package with the speaker swap :thumbs .

And besides being some "superstar" with an army of roadies to haul your bulk their really is no need (okay, the optics maybe) to break your back anymore when there´s a halfway decent PA-system in the venue shrug .

Great Deals with MrWhipper, JoeyM, Del Hudson, skydive69 and Kramer Classic I :thumbs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:31 am 
Kramer Kommander

I had the 5W version recently and even on 0.5W setting it was way too much for the living room. At 5W it would already be sufficient for practicing with the band. I only sold it because it didn't have quite enough gain for my needs and I didn't want to use an extra pedal with it. Otherwise the sound was great, pure Marshall goodness :thumbs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:24 am 
Kramer Maniac

I love the DSL series from Marshall. Mine is my main amp right now. I use a Roland cube for bedroom practice which does it’s job and the DSL for jamming / gigs. People get all up in a bunch bc they are made in Vietnam but it’s the best amp in the price range. Has a great sound, takes to pedals well. I love it. Agreed on the speaker, I bought mine from Sweetwater with the cream back speaker and it sounds great. Probably even better with the vintage 30. Have fun!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:50 pm 
Kramer Maniac

So, moving on...........the little 20 watter is so impressive that I've bought the 40 for larger venues where the 20 is a little bit lacking in punch! The 40 has an extra pre amp valve which gives it more flexibility in the gain stages hence it has 2 OD channels on the ultra gain mode, that coupled with it also has 2 switchable master volumes makes it one very flexible amp :thumbs

If you haven't tried one go find one & give it a test!

'86 Retta, Black
'86 Retta, Bubbles
'87 Retta, Shattered Glass
'87 Retta, The Fly
'86 Focus 2000, Hot Pink
'87 JK1000, Red
'14 Pacer Classic, white, modded