Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:52 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: The 2017 2x12 challenge
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:30 pm 
Kramer Maniac

After almost 10 years in Limbo I finally began itching for playing in a band again last year. At the moment I am doing my PhD abroad, but once I get back to Norway next year I was hoping to finish a new rig of mine, which has some rather… peculiar amp challenges.

The rig will be a rack rig, although I may augment it with a very special amp if money allows for it later. I still have a pair of ADA MP-1s, and will be basing my rig around that and a Marshall 9040 power amp. Yes, it IS solid state, but for this style I don't think it matters too much (after some tweaking I think I can get a good sound of it), and in a live setting I actually prefer it for reliability and size.

It is, however, creating something of a bottleneck in my plans. I was planning to run a stereo set-up, and the power amp is rated 200x2 watts. Of course, it is fair to say in general that a solid state power amp will not be NEARLY as loud as a tube power amp, so even at 400w it should be able to get a decent sound out of it for smaller venues (solid state is an advantage here, of course). It does, however, mean that the speakers should be able to stand up to some heavy wattage without succumbing to pressure.

I have a 4x12 (an early Metropolous cabinet) with Greenbacks, which sounds great in a more conventional rig, but which fails both in terms of size and wattage here. In the future I was looking to replace it with two 2x12s. I was basically wondering if you have any suggestions for speakers around 100w (they can be a little lower, but not too much), that would work in a heavy rock context. This rig is obviously more 80s than 70s (obvious Kramer territory!), but is still very much a take on the obnoxiously hyper-charged Marshall. Do you have any recommendations, both in terms of cabinets and speakers? I really like the Greenback sound, as it gives what could otherwise be a very sterile, modern sounding rig something of a vintage edge. If something like that could be approximated at this wattage that would be excellent.

Finally there is yet another potentially complicating factor. If my career progress and the currency rates allow it I might be getting a smaller head for pure tones and slave the rack for effects only. In such a case, would it be possible for one of the cabinets to be run by a smaller tube amp, say 25-50w, and still have it pushed properly? I also have a Marshall 9100 power amp that contains two 50w 2xEL34 power amps that I might change to should the difference prove to be too great, and naturally I would hope that the cabinets would work with it as well.

(Sorry about the naïvety of the questions. I have never really had the chance to experiment much with cabs.)

Great trades with: bacon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:07 am 
Kramer Kommander

I had an older Laney box with 4x 100W HH speakers, something like that could easily cope with your stereo setup. It weighed a ton though, which is why I stopped using it - only good if you look like Conan or have two roadies available dielaughing But as you said, that transistor will be nowhere near 400W in reality, half of that will be heat and noise.

Frankly I don't understand why you want to go with that. Don't you use a PA? Monitors? If yes, then your Marshall power amp will be more than enough for smaller venues. I guess it's probably louder than that "400W" transistor amp anyway.

Carvin have some really nice and affordable boxes, take a look there as well: http://carvinaudio.com/collections/vx-s ... r-cabinets

EDIT: just noticed that they killed the Carvin guitar brand and the old headstock shapes... bad for business IMO. Actually stupid as stupid gets.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:20 pm 
Kramer Maniac

_xxx_ wrote:
Frankly I don't understand why you want to go with that. Don't you use a PA? Monitors? If yes, then your Marshall power amp will be more than enough for smaller venues. I guess it's probably louder than that "400W" transistor amp anyway.

That is my experience too, and one of the reasons I would want to avoid using it. Despite seeming more unwieldy at 2x200w the 9040 was the smallest of its kind at the time. Not only does it work better at lower levels than the tube power amp, but it also is smaller (2 vs 3 rack units. The tube needs 4u in practice to prevent heat accumulation), lighter and sturdier. The difference in tone honestly isn't larger than that I would prefer to go solid state for convenience in most cases.

The Carvins look nice, if I can get them across the pond.

Great trades with: bacon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:09 pm 
Kramer Kommander

They have dealers in Europe etc. as well, look here:
http://carvinaudio.com/pages/internatio ... ealers-n-z
http://carvinaudio.com/pages/internatio ... rs-dealers

The slant model is available in stock in Germany, says 140W though:
http://www.station-musicshop.de/epages/ ... ts/0004918

Or with Vintage30's and 120W:
http://www.station-musicshop.de/epages/ ... ducts/8097

Both will easily cope with that amp.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:19 am 
KF ADMIN

Hi-Tone.

Period.

Best sounding - best made cabinets today.

https://hi-tone-amps.com/products/cabinets/