Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 8:58 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: HSS pickups suggestions
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:21 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Hey bros, give me pickup suggestions for a HSS configuration. Like I want to know what you have in your HSS guitar(s), or wish to suggest. This is for my Japanese Globe Pacer which is akin to a Focus 3000. Not looking to coil split the humbucker. I'm kinda thinking that I want that humbucker to be Dimarzio Super Distortion. But I wanna hear suggestions first. :toast :headbang

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:25 pm 
Kramer Maniac

And neck and middle don't need to be authentic single coil tones, I want their output levels closer to the humbuckers.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:57 pm 
Kramer Kingpin

Duncans: CC+SSL+lil59

Great Deals with MrWhipper, JoeyM, Del Hudson, skydive69 and Kramer Classic I :thumbs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:09 pm 
Kramer Kommander

I prefer Fender single coils above anything else, especially the SCN noiseless, Texas Special and (don't laugh) the ones with bar magnet used on mexican models.

The SCN have a bit fatter, warmer sound without too much of those "crystalline" highs, which makes them work well with a humbucker without sounding too tinny like vintage SC's. I just love their tone, they have lots of growl and character.

Same goes for the mex type, they sound like something between SC and humbucker which fits my requirements well. Surprisingly good for a "cheap" pup and lots of output so it fits humbuckers well.

I very much dislike ceramic humbuckers, bare some rare exemptions like the Schaller types used on vintage Kramers. Super Distortion is a very harsh and cold sounding pup, IMO it's rather suited for extreme types of metal. But if you want that sort of tone, go with it. Super3 might fit a Kramer better though, it's got a bit more output, more bass and less of the harsh treble than the SD.

If that's of any use, my perfect combo is 2x SCN and a Pearly Gates, or two Texas Specials with some beefy AlNiCo5 bridge hum.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:43 pm 
Kramer Maniac

I'm a big Duncan Distortion fan since my Pacer arrived with one. I'm also a fan of the Mexican strat pickups (so it's not just me that likes them :thumbs ).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:10 pm 
Kramer Kommander

It's purely a matter of taste, I just prefer warmer and more organic sound. I loved Super3 in my old alu-neck though, there it was a perfect fit. I also liked SuperD in the vintage US BC Rich warlock, but it was an "evil" guitar all the way, just too much for me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:28 pm 
Kramer Maniac

I have an axe loaded with Duncans. 59 hum in bridge. Lil JB in middle and parallel axis in neck. My concern was like yours as I wanted similar outputs and I dig the balance.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:43 pm 
Kramer Maniac

As I've said before, with an SSH guitar, the singles are just for decoration, just find a decent humbucker. :roll

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:30 am 
Kramer Maniac

Mine has a Full Shred in the bridge and two duncan quarter pounds for the singles but I hardley use those

2018 Gibson Les Paul Traditional
2016 Yamaha APX5000III Acoustic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:46 pm 
Kramer Maniac

80sChris wrote:
As I've said before, with an SSH guitar, the singles are just for decoration, just find a decent humbucker. :roll

Oh yeah, thanks for the reminder! :roll :toast

Very interesting reading all of the replies... there are so many ways to approach a HSS setup it can be a selection headache, especially if you're open to mixing brand models, but I'm keeping it simple with no splitting the bucker and going for outputs to be similar and probably sticking with one brand for all three pickups.