Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:00 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:13 am 
Kramer Kommander

I wanted to try it so I just installed one in my U-2. It may fit better in a Strat or a Pacer, since the U-2 is very rich in highs and can go over the top with certain amp settings.

The tone is a bit like JB, but with less flabby bass and with more present and richer mids/high mids. Or for DMZ fans, it's like Fred but with a bit more output. It's got a somewhat metallic character with a distinct "click" when picking akin to Custom5, fits the style quite well. The harmonics scream but are not too sharp and stingy, just the right amount of treble IMO. It gives you that shred metal sound but with medium output, so the amp does not get too saturated/muddy and can still "breathe".

In sum, I really like it and can recommend it if you're looking for a classical shred tone that works well for arpeggios, tappings etc.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:20 pm 
Kramer Maniac

I was ready to buy one Serj til you got to the "arpeggios and tapping" part, which then rendered it totally useless to me...:mrgreen

Seriously...great review and I may want to bring one of these in to try.....thanks :thumbs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:50 am 
Kramer Kommander

Hehe :) Well you don't *have* to play arpeggios etc., but it works well for that style, sound-wise.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:28 am 
Kramer Kommander

After playing it for a day, I must say I really like it. It actually made me practice arpeggios for an hour last evening, I haven't done that since like ten years. The sound is just made for that kind of stuff, no mud, no excessive bass or stingy highs but still very well defined and every string is audible even with ungodly amount of gain used.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:09 am 
Kramer Maniac

_xxx_ wrote:
After playing it for a day, I must say I really like it. It actually made me practice arpeggios for an hour last evening, I haven't done that since like ten years. The sound is just made for that kind of stuff, no mud, no excessive bass or stingy highs but still very well defined and every string is audible even with ungodly amount of gain used.

I bet it would sound damn good through my 5150 3 50W head, I always use as high output pickups I can get but I have heard and read that sometimes dropping the pickups output paired with mega gain amps sounds pretty sweet. Nice review!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:28 am 
Kramer Kommander

Thanks! Yes, I prefer humbuckers with medium/low output in general - I'm using a Triple XXX, which has enough gain to make a weak single coil sing for days.

With such an amp, a too strong pup only makes it muddy and more compressed, or you have to reduce the gain quite a bit to make it work. But then when paired with single coils in other positions, the difference in volume/gain can be too severe, that often sounds unbalanced.

My favorite is still Pearly Gates. Despite less output on paper, almost all of its signal in concentrated in the most audible mids band and thus it is actually much louder in the mix than say a JB, also louder than this pup. Less mV, but more loudness if that makes any sense to you. Most of the JB's huge output is in deep sub-bass and the high treble band, which both go under in the mix with other instruments.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:35 pm 
Kramer Maniac

_xxx_ wrote:
Thanks! Yes, I prefer humbuckers with medium/low output in general - I'm using a Triple XXX, which has enough gain to make a weak single coil sing for days.

With such an amp, a too strong pup only makes it muddy and more compressed, or you have to reduce the gain quite a bit to make it work. But then when paired with single coils in other positions, the difference in volume/gain can be too severe, that often sounds unbalanced.

My favorite is still Pearly Gates. Despite less output on paper, almost all of its signal in concentrated in the most audible mids band and thus it is actually much louder in the mix than say a JB, also louder than this pup. Less mV, but more loudness if that makes any sense to you. Most of the JB's huge output is in deep sub-bass and the high treble band, which both go under in the mix with other instruments.

I get it,I had a Pearly Gates in a single hum Charvel about 15 years ago and it seemed like it was a "loud" pickup,I mean the Charvel wasn't fancy at all,just barely about the Charvette series and the PG rocked! Infinite sustain !