Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:35 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Amp vs pedals
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:41 pm 
Kramer Maniac

So I have been amp researching and shopping lately as I think it’s time for something new (to me). There are many choices out there for amps, and I’d like to start a little discussion to hopefully glean some insight into a little dilemma I’m considering now.

Regarding tone, I have noticed that all of the amps I seem to be interested in are more or less either 1) decent options and effects built in and high gain, or 2) very spartan but the base clean tone is really gorgeous. The amps that have the nice clean tone are often described as “take pedals well”. Does “takes pedals well” really mean “we just didn’t put any effects in this amp so you’ll have to go spend more money on pedals and get them yourself”?

What do you guys think about the idea that the best gain comes from amps vs pedals? I’ve always been told that but whenever you see rig rundowns everybody uses pedals...I got a mxr super badass the other day and it sounds really really good to me! Am I missing something? I watched the chappers and the captain video where rob Chapman is blindfolded and the Anderson’s guy gives him a bunch of good quality amps distortions and a bunch of pedal distortions through a clean amp and ask him to tell the difference. Chapman being the boner he is went on about how he can tell the difference because of this and that esoteric fluff and whatnot, but he shat the bed in the test. He was wrong almost every one.

What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:03 am 
Kramer Kommander

Talking about basic tone, no pedal can beat a good amp - only exception being real tube preamps in pedal form.

Chappers and cap are sales people, I wouldn't care too much about their conclusions.

Your MXR pedal is nice for what it does, obviously the amount of gain used by say Dime is impossible with any tube amp alone. The pedal can't compete regarding dynamics and such, but then that's not what Dime was after. For that bone-crushing gain, you will need semiconductors. Even my XXX has some clipping diodes inside the ultra channel to push the gain beyond what tubes alone can do.

So in the end it's about what *you* want...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:05 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Personally I always choose an amp which produces enough gain for my needs, I use pedals but only in the loop (reverb, delay, eq for solo boost) :thumbs
I was using an EVH 5150iii which had more than enough gain for every eventuality but this year decided that I wanted to move back to Marshalls, so now I'm using a DSL40CR combo, again there is more than enough gain from the amp + it has a very nice onboard reverb, so now there is only delay & eq in the loop!
Simplicity is where it's at to get the best tone, you can easily loose your way with too many pedals :thumbs

'86 Retta, White
'86 Retta, Black
'87 Retta, Shattered Glass
'87 Retta, The Fly
'86 Focus 2000, Hot Pink
'87 JK1000, Red
'10 Pacer Classic, white

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:49 pm 
Kramer Maniac

I definatly prefer a real tube amp, but sometimes pedals can get REAL close to the sound of a distorted tube amp.

My favorite clipping pedals are the Friedman BEOD, the Bogner Ecstasy red pedal, and the Marvel Drive.

Each of these pedals have their own thing going for them; but the Marvel Drive sounds incredibly life-like and near perfect in regards to sounding like the real thing. The Friedman just sounds astounding in general, and the Ecstasy pedal is an amazing gain platform.

They all have their place, and they all go good with particular setups that suit them.

However, with the amp I've built, I've found myself using less and less pedals; even going as far to barely even use clean boosters at this point. When you've found a real good tube amp that fits the way you play, you really don't need anything else.

Check out my Soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/jarrod-beauchemin
Or Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/javamony

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:27 am 
Kramer Maniac

The amps I am considering now(this may, and likely wil change lol) are totally different, one sounds fantastic clean, but has essentially no gain channel. The clean sound makes up for it though, and I think this pedal I have would likely work very well with it. The other one is a more metal amp, has awesome gain sound so I wouldnt need the distortion pedal, BUT the clean sound isnt as warm, and It's 100/30 watts which I dont need, the other one is 40/15 which would be more suitable for my situation. There is also a Randall ProTube 1000 combo Im considering, which I likely wouldnt need the stomp box for either, though I havent played that one yet.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:30 am 
Kramer Maniac

Make sure you try them all out before you buy, especially if you're gonna be using pedals in front or in the loop :thumbs

'86 Retta, White
'86 Retta, Black
'87 Retta, Shattered Glass
'87 Retta, The Fly
'86 Focus 2000, Hot Pink
'87 JK1000, Red
'10 Pacer Classic, white

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:50 am 
Kramer Maniac

yeah, the randall is a bit more than the other 2, and I would be happy with either of the other two, despite being so different. Ive never had an amp that had a decent high gain sound before and have always used pedals. I see many pros use an OD pedal just for a little boost, and luckily this super badass pedal sounds great on the min gain setting as a slightly dirty boost.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:53 am 
Kramer Maniac

I'll hijack myself here, sort of... do you guys have a recommendation for a decent inexpensive delay? these new chinese offerings from joyo, donner et.al. seem to get great reviews and are tempting.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:01 am 
Kramer Kommander

Used brand product is usually always good. I recently bought a used Ibanez digital delay with all bells and whistles for $19.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:08 am 
Kramer Maniac

stupid deals like that are hard to find around here...but I'm keeping my eyes open for used deals.