Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:55 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:07 pm 
Kramer Kommander

So I've got a peavey ultra 60 head teal strip with Mesa v30 412 boosted with the 808 .

Amp gain 3.8 and the 808 volume up and gain all the way down, now sounds great ,but can't get rid of the slight mid honkey sound ,put a mxr 6 eq in the loop,did not like at all.

So I've got a empress paraeq with 30 db clean boost coming and u can EQ the shizzel outta the sound.

As I like the ultra 60 better then my 5150 2 head,so my question is will the clean boost get my where I need to go,without the 808,or is the 808 still needed to boost and tighten the crunch up for that crispy heavy metal to trash metal goodnness??

Thx for any info...

86 Kramer Pacer Custom
1992 ibanez 170L
(all leftys)

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:05 pm 
Kramer Kommander

Throw away that Maxon, it degrades the tone and is probably the source of that "honk". Get a high quality clean boost instead, should work much better. Even better than a booster - a quality compressor pedal usually does the best job.

The EQ is not a solution, it shifts the phase of individual freqs and thus degrades the tone, unless it's a $3k+ linear phase EQ like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/WEISS-EQ1-LP-D ... Sw8zNa4Mrg

Another option to think about - get a Triple XXX amp, it needs no extra pedals at all and has a more powerful active EQ. It's a souped-up Ultra basically. I've been using it for a decade or so and will never need another amp, I tried many but they all sound inferior in comparison, even Mesa or Marshalls couldn't touch it shrug Usually easy to find them used for rather small money.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:46 am 
Kramer Maniac

I tried an EH nano boost pedal and took it right back...super mid range punch and sounded too fuzzy. I guess the MXR boost pedal doesnt colour your tone much though...