Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:31 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:36 am 
Kramer Kommander

This one:

Sold off some parts and got this one for a good price in an auction, so basically no extra costs :toast

Should arrive in a day or two, I'm curious if it'll be able to beat my Triple XXX in a direct comparison.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:10 am 
Kramer Maniac

Sounds promising, can't wait the review. :headbang

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:29 am 
Kramer Maniac

I've heard a lot of good about these little tiny rockers!

I've been meaning to pick myself up a small combo myself; maybe I'll wait to hear your word on this little dude before I pull the trigger on something else :headbang :thumbs

Check out my Soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/jarrod-beauchemin
Or Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/javamony

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:10 pm 
Kramer Maniac

The DSL 5 is a great little amp. I have the DSL 40c. Definitely worthy of the Super Lead name.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:17 pm 
Kramer Kommander

I was torn between the two because of the 12" speaker in the 40, but it is just too much oomph for my living room.

Will post a little vid once it arrives :toast

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:44 am 
Kramer Kingpin

That´s a very nice present :thumbs .

Great Deals with MrWhipper, JoeyM, Del Hudson, skydive69 and Kramer Classic I :thumbs

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:50 am 
Kramer Kommander

Got it yesterday and could only test it briefly.

It *does* have the same sound like its big brothers. Which is both good and bad - good because it has that creamy Marshall sound you'd expect, but bad because it does not have enough distortion for my needs (Death Metal kinda stuff). So I'll try adding a booster or compressor in front and see if that does it, otherwise it won't be a keeper.

It is great for anything up to Metallica-level stuff, but it lacks like those last 5-10% of "oomph" and grit. In comparison, Peavey XXX has that much distortion already at 12 o'clock setting.

It does have those beautiful singing harmonics and "cream" you'd expect from a Marshall.

The 10" speaker lacks bass but that's to be expected. That "deep" switch adds lots of bass, but it makes the tone too bassy and takes away some of the punch in the mids. It does not get muddy though, so it is usable, but just does not make it sound any heavier. More like as if you mixed in some bass guitar on top, it adds some deep bass but skips the lower mids completely.

Scoop mode works fine and does not kill the mids or make it sound weak, well done feature.

I'll try it with some pedals in the evening and also test the DI-out on my PC, then we'll see. I just hoped that they added some more distortion compared to the older models, but it's obviously "just" a carbon-copy of the big DSL models. Can't touch my XXX regarding heavy sounds, but it sounds great for 80's sort of stuff or anything that does not require an ungodly amount of gain.

I'll try to make a little clip over the weekend, so you can hear it compared to the XXX.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:43 am 
Kramer Kommander

One more info - evn in the "low power" 0.5W mode, it's damn loud. Anything over 9-10 o'clock vol setting won't make your neighbors happy.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:10 am 
Kramer Maniac

I have the 50th anniversary DSL1C, which is switchable between 1 watt and 0.1 watt. I can't crank it up much as it'll get too loud for my apartment.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:36 am 
Kramer Kommander

Yep, obviously even more so with the 5W version :)

I tested it against the XXX and Randall RD1 over the weekend and both stomp it into the ground distortion-wise. When using a compressor or gain pedal, it can be pushed for the proper tone, but to me that's no solution - I want no pedals in front of the amp. So I'm re-selling it again and getting something else, or maybe just a 12" box for the Randall.

If someone here is interested, forum price 350EUR plus actual shipping. It's a 230V version, so only interesting for this side of the pond.