Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:45 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Sustain Circuit Diagram
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:05 am 
Kramer Maniac

Hey guys,

Does anyone have a circuit diagram of the Floyd Rose sustainer system? If you can point me towards one or can tell me where to procure one (without buying a sustainer and tracing it myself), that'd be fantastic. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:29 am 
Kramer Maniac

It occurred to me that there must be a patent for this and what do you know, there is :pimp.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:31 am 
Kramer Kommander

Link?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:07 am 
Kramer Kommander

http://www.google.ca/patents/US4907483
This is Floyd's original patent but his is only a small portion of the big picture.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:21 am 
Kramer Maniac

sixstring wrote:
http://www.google.ca/patents/US4907483
This is Floyd's original patent but his is only a small portion of the big picture.

Yep, that's the one I'm looking at - but I've got the full text, including values for all components. What do you think I could be missing? I've been looking into Sustainiac/Fernandes, I gather opinions are split between the two.

AFAIK, this patent will have expired by now (20 years from date of filing). My understanding is that FR sold the rights to his sustainer circuit, which became the Sustainiac.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:23 am 
Kramer Maniac

_xxx_ wrote:
Link?

Full PDF:
https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/pdfs/US4907483.pdf

If I recall correctly, you're an Elec. Engineer?

The last device I laid out (~12 months ago, I'm a Software Engineer and only dabble in electronics), was a double-sided 10mmx10mm SMT circuit for an IoT device. This little sustainer project feels... less demanding, haha.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:23 am 
Kramer Kommander

Yep, although never did very much with complex analogue circuits, mostly digital stuff. Actually this baby seems quite complex for what it does. Nowadays one would probably do all the filtering and phase matching with some sort of microcontroller and some clever software. Like A/D-converter -> µC -> power stage, with off-the-hook components. Maybe with Raspberry Pi or such. Would be a fun software project I think, although lots of work.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:58 am 
Kramer Kommander

_xxx_ wrote:
Yep, although never did very much with complex analogue circuits, mostly digital stuff. Actually this baby seems quite complex for what it does. Nowadays one would probably do all the filtering and phase matching with some sort of microcontroller and some clever software.

This is some cutting edge shit for the late 80's!!
dielaughing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:36 pm 
Kramer Maniac

_xxx_ wrote:
Yep, although never did very much with complex analogue circuits, mostly digital stuff. Actually this baby seems quite complex for what it does. Nowadays one would probably do all the filtering and phase matching with some sort of microcontroller and some clever software. Like A/D-converter -> µC -> power stage, with off-the-hook components. Maybe with Raspberry Pi or such. Would be a fun software project I think, although lots of work.

I've done some trivial stuff with analogue, but I've mostly done digital stuff too (unsurprising given I'm a software person).

Agree - it is quite complex, given that it doesn't "do much". That said - I've done a bit of a 'literature review' of sustainer systems and the difference between a a dead-simple sustainer and a more complex system is essentially performance and features: harmonic mode and not having a SUSTAINER ACTIVATED speed hump. I gather the sustainiac and the Fernandes system are analogue to keep the cost down...

... for them, not us dielaughing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:23 pm 
Kramer Maniac