Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:41 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Marshall Code 50
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:40 pm 
Kramer Maniac

I was looking for a combo amp to drag around the house, so I picked up a Marshall Code. It definitely doesn't live up to the hype. I would say it's more of a beginners amp, with a beginner price tag ($259).

It's supposed to emulate some classic preamps, power amps and cabinets. It has some onboard effects as well. One glaring omission is that that it doesn't have a jack to use an external cabinet. To salvage the purchase, I'm going to swap out the inexpensive speaker, with a Vintage 30.

The lead time to purchase one is MONTHS, so I thought I would save you guys the trouble.

Tommy

Post subject: Re: Marshall Code 50
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:57 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Hmmmmm. Not trying to be contrarian, but I picked one up about a month ago and I have the exact opposite response. To me, it's one of the best modeling amps I've ever played through and it's tone is better than 3/4 of the tube amps I've owned. I really like that since it's digital, I don't have to crank it to get the growl that I want out of it, and it's not noisy and gainy sounding like all tube amps are. It's far from perfect, but for the $250 that I paid for it, it's one of if not the best investment I've made on gear. I do admit that the clean sounds on it could use some work, but that's not why I buy a Marshall amp anyway. Also, it would be nice to have MIDI control and a line out, but that's asking a lot for a sub $300 amp.

I purchased mine off of ebay and had it in a matter of just a few days. I think if you shop around, you can find them in stock. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, because I'm more than thrilled with mine. I even like it better than my Fender CyberTwin.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:35 am 
Kramer Kommander

Interesting to see both views. But that amps have a way to start controversy it seems. The reviews throughout magazines are a bit mixed too. I still dig my Blackstar ID:TVP for home use.

Great Deals with MrWhipper, JoeyM, Del Hudson, skydive69 and Kramer Classic I :thumbs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:05 am 
Kramer Maniac

Good to hear from you Christian.

After thinking about my review, I thought I'd be a bit more specific. The amp definitely has the balls (volume ) to use for gigs in small venues.

The onboard effects have a great feature, which allows you to place them in different parts of the effects chain. A nice string of linear LED's maps out the signal chain.

The footswitch has been on backorder, since February, which means you have to use a Marshall app for android or iOS to access settings, without bending down.

Here's where I'd like to clarify my review. The built-in presets require a lot of tweaking. The noisegate, for example really kills the response on the one I have. There are a few really good presets for clean, crunch, hair band tones, etc.

I find that when I "start from scratch" and select a preamp sim, power amp sim and cab model, then add some verb and/or delay, the results are better.

Today, I am going to add a speaker output Jack, so I can try a better cabinet. I feel confident that adding a better speaker will improve the tone greatly.

Now if I could only find a footswitch!

Thanks for reading

Tommy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:26 pm 
Kramer Maniac

I had not heard about these. I have the peavey 100w vyper 212. It's a lot of fun and sounds great with the high gain models. For the cleans it tends to taper off quickly and that is my only real complaint. (Sustain clipping, so to speak). It is so much lighter than my 212 tube, and maybe even lighter than my other tube head!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:35 pm 
KF ADMIN

Quote:
Today, I am going to add a speaker output Jack, so I can try a better cabinet.

Can you post some pictures of the output jack installation?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:06 pm 
Kramer Maniac

What happens if the cat is absent minded and uses the Lester as a scratching post? :nono :poke

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:08 pm 
Kramer Maniac

menace wrote:
Quote:
Today, I am going to add a speaker output Jack, so I can try a better cabinet.

Can you post some pictures of the output jack installation?

Will do, Tony.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:12 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Can anybody guess what model Lester that is? :band

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:59 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Is it one volume and two tones? Hmmmmmm......
(miss the scratchee smiley)