Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:57 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:09 am 
Kramer Maniac

Took quite some time before I got to gig it, but the Mesa DC-3 is a keeper! Now my Single Recto can stay in the practice hall, because the DC-3 has the same features, and I can actually pick it up. Has that legendary Mesa "singing" sustain, without a hint of fizziness. Great cleans too - did a half dozen old "both kinds" (country AND western!) songs, and the EL-84s have a slightly wetter clean than the classic Fender tweed 6L6. Great little amp - and it has the switchable 5 band EQ (heavily notched, of course).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:49 am 
Kramer Maniac

I want to hear the DC-3 in action based on your experience. I believe you said on the KF that you never quite liked the peavey product, which is always something I've ended up owning. But I like some things I've heard in the Mesa lineup and glad you ended up with a satisfactory rig.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:50 am 
Kramer Kommander

Need to get a sound bite of it in action. :yourock

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:21 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Will try to next time. I was still tweaking the tones. Mesa tone controls are more interactive than some. Love the switchable graphic.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:36 pm 
Kramer Maniac

kremark wrote:
I want to hear the DC-3 in action based on your experience. I believe you said on the KF that you never quite liked the peavey product, which is always something I've ended up owning. But I like some things I've heard in the Mesa lineup and glad you ended up with a satisfactory rig.

Not all Peaveys ... just the guitar amps I've played through. My large club bass amp, for example, is a Peavey Max 450 and I love it. The rhythm player (remember rhythm players? ... lol) in my last band had a Classic 30, and I always thought the distortion was really harsh, but to be fair, it wasn't mine, so I didn't have time to play with it. Patience is definitely a virtue, but sometimes it doesn't come easy to a musician, as we've all found out at one time or another.

I think it comes out to what you're comfortable with, what sounds good to you, and where your tone comes from. It can come from what pups, pedals, amps, chord voicings, damping, what have you. Some people like one signature tone from the amp, and control the nuances by switching pups or even guitars. As time has gone along (okay, as I got older!), I liked my rhythm cleaner while I'm singing, but I still like the idea of kicking the EQ to get the tone boost with the notch. I love the vocal-like sustain of the EL84s in my DC-3, or the 6L6s in the bigger Single Recto. The "Mesa Sound" is my signature lead tone. But not everyone agrees on even what the "Mesa Sound" IS ... I've heard people describe it before, and it didn't sound like my interpretation. Who's right? I suggest that we all are.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:58 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Did another outside gig, under a "pavilion" and the sound was just terrible. On stage, it was that nice Mesa EL84 clean with a bit of edge (what they call "pushed" on the 6L6 Single Rectos), and a significant mid scoop on the lead channel. But 30 feet away, where the cell phone video was taken, it sounded like a late 1960s solid state amp, absolutely sterile. I think we'll have to use the Sony HDR camera next time. The Galaxy is fine for ten feet away from an indoor show, but it's not going to work for what I was trying to do. Still trying to get a usable sound file.

The other issue is I'm playing mostly piano these days. A year from now, who knows?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:11 am 
Kramer Kommander

Sound is not easy with those camera mics... you might have better luck with Samsung photo cams, these have somewhat better mics and distort less.

Why not record the sound directly from the mixer and add it to the video later? Or do you play without a PA?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:50 pm 
Kramer Maniac

We use a PA for vocals and a little drum reinforcement (might have only been one in the bass drum, because it was a fairly low volume performance for outdoors). We have a Sony HDR that's made for stuff like that but I forgot to charge it, so my fault all the way. The Galaxy is just not made for that kind of video recording; I doubt any smart phone is.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:05 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Took the DC-3 to my repair guy to replace the relays on the mother board. Last of the shipping damage. It's been solid during the gigs I used it, but there was some visible damage, so I am having him replace them. I love the sound of that little amp; between that and my Single Recto, I have any club in northern Colorado or southern Wyoming covered. Now if I were just in a band .... LOL it's actually a lot of fun to be a free agent.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:07 am 
Kramer Maniac

Like I hoped, it's become my main stage amp. Now the Recto can stay downstairs in the main studio. The DC-3 is a great little amp; the clean surprised me - kick in the graphic EQ (foot switchable) and it adds just enough selective gain to make it a bit like what Mesa calls "pushed", or the blues sound. If only it had a decent reverb ... oh well, that's what a pedalboard is for.