Marshall cabinet dating

Discussion about amplifiers, effects, speakers, pickups, and other elektronics
HellaYella
Kramer Maniac

Marshall cabinet dating

Post by HellaYella » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:24 pm

I tried giving her whiskey and chicken nuggets, she just wouldn't tell me how old she was.

Jokes aside, I need some help on this one as I'm scratching my head a bit. I picked up what I though was a 1979 Marshall 1960 cabinet with an amp deal I did earlier this week. The more I dig into it though the more I'm not sure. It has the extra internal bracing which I though was gone by '78 plus it has the gold/bronze Homa casters. As far as I know they used those on '71-'75 cabinets and went to the black ones from '76-'83. It's definitely not earlier than '73 as it has plastic handles and and a non plywood backboard. Checkerboard grill cloth went to black around '75. The Celestions were replaced with Jensen Mod 12-50s so I can't get any hints there.
I pulled the rat fur it was recovered with off the back baffle but the serial plate is long gone as well.

So here's some pics, I know you guys are knowledgeable and have gone through a lot of gear over the years so I'm hoping for some thoughts/opinions. I'm leaning towards '75

menace
KF ADMIN

Re: Marshall cabinet dating

Post by menace » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:49 pm

Late 70s to very early 80s.

It is all birch plywood- they started adding bits of MDF in the early 80s.
Where are we going.....and why am I in this hand-basket?

HellaYella
Kramer Maniac

Post by HellaYella » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:35 pm

menace wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:49 pm Late 70s to very early 80s.

It is all birch plywood- they started adding bits of MDF in the early 80s.
Thanks for the reply menace.
I'll follow up with the restore results after I retolex it. Gotta get some quality posts in so I can get in on the raffle/fundraiser next year.

If anyone has a good USA source for genuine Marshall white elephant tolex please let me know. My google fu has turned up a lot of black and red, but no genuine Marshall white.

menace
KF ADMIN

Post by menace » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:35 pm

Where are we going.....and why am I in this hand-basket?