Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:37 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:26 am 
Kramer Maniac

How high is the Floyd supposed to be? If I set mine on the body the strings hit due to neck tilt? And how much tilt on the neck is too much? Trying to get my new USA Baretta setup as the previous owner has the trem out of wack and neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:21 am 
Kramer Maniac

If the last photo is (as I think you are saying) of the bridge flat against the body then the break away angle of the neck should be reduced or likely eliminated. It looks like there must be a shim at the bridge side of the neck pocket. Assuming that is the case, if you remove it the frets will be aligned more or less parallel with the top side of the body. That will help your cause allowing more clearance. I know there are a couple of members who prefer the tremolo flush against the body, so they are more familiar with the fine tuning, but it is safe to say start by removing the shim and bring the neck more zero angled. Then, after replacing the neck and readjusting the claw for spring tension at pitch, hopefully the bridge is at an acceptable height for you (it might still be above the body). For me a little clearance for full float is fine and it is a matter of personal taste.

Right now you definitely have too much neck angle causing too high of a bridge height. Hope that helps. -Steve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:23 am 
Kramer Kommander

The floyd is too high. But before you tinker with the neck angle (which can be a lot of work till you get it right), there is an easier way - use a thin block of wood in the trem cavity (attached to the body with double-sided sticky tape) between the sustain block and the body to get it into the position you have in the second picture. Actually a bit higher, the baseplate should be exactly parallel to the strings.

The wood block solution works like a charm and it's a much easier/faster fix.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:26 am 
Kramer Kingpin

+1 on the block in the cavity. Done that with all of mine and it´s completely hassle-free :thumbs .

Great Deals with MrWhipper, JoeyM, Del Hudson, skydive69 and Kramer Classic I :thumbs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:41 am 
Kramer Kommander

Another issue: even when you adjust the neck angle, you can never get the floyd 100% flush with the body. It needs a little bit of clearance on the posts side, so you don't dig into the body when doing dives. Thus due to that tilt, the arm will always be a little bit too high, which makes the usage much more uncomfortable and it also screws up the radius of the saddles. We're talking about a bit less then half an inch of arm height difference, it doesn't sound like much but the difference in feel/handling is *huge*. You want the arm as low as possible.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:58 am 
Kramer Kingpin

The heel of the neck has a big gap at the end.
Must have a thick shim in there, strings are like hydro lines.
I don't remember if these came from the factory set up for dive only. shrug

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:18 am 
Kramer Maniac

I don’t need the Floyd flush but felt it was way up there. I have a trem stopper on the guitar so I can adjust the Floyd level. Just felt it was way to high.

Is removing the shim easily done or should I take it to the guitar shop to have it done?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:26 am 
Kramer Kingpin

Cornbread wrote:
Is removing the shim easily done or should I take it to the guitar shop to have it done?

Unscrew the neck. Take the shim out. Look how thick it is and maybe replace it with a piece of cardboard half the thickness of the actual shim. No need to bring it to a shop.

Great Deals with MrWhipper, JoeyM, Del Hudson, skydive69 and Kramer Classic I :thumbs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:37 am 
Kramer Kingpin

The more you can do yourself, the better.
Try that shim half as thick and see where that sets up. :thumbs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:51 am 
Kramer Maniac

Cool will do. I do everything else but am scared to mess with necks. I will give it a try