Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:08 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Hack job 2.0
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:13 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Not sure if this even qualifies for the tech talk topic, but I am sick of the bass post leans on the old style floyds. Tired of toothpicks (which works somewhat) and not ready to use the bushings and change out the posts so I will see how this fairs.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:27 pm 
Kramer Kommander

Keep us posted. :thumbs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:11 pm 
Kramer Maniac

sixstring wrote:
Keep us posted. :thumbs

I see what you did there.

I prefer the old style, but have no problem switching to bushings. Takes all of ten minutes to do, if that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:40 pm 
Kramer Maniac

I have a PCII body where somebody did exactly that, but they used the entire circumference of metal and slightly drilled out the top centimeter or so of the hole to widen and allow the sleeve it to fit. It looks pretty solid, although I haven't built it up yet. I measured, and the inner diameter of the grafted in sleeve is a TINY bit larger than the outer diameter of the Floyd screws, so my plan was to wrap that part of the Floyd screws once or twice with copper shielding tape to get a nice tight fit. I am at work now, but will post pics when I get home, so you can see how this one was done. I had been wondering what was the metal tube he used, never occurred to me it could be a piece of spent cartridge, that is really clever! I'll have to look closely and see if mine looks like that was the material used. Pics forthcoming tonight...

Classic II red Tele
Ferrington red Tele
81 Pioneer Bass
various Foci
various pieces parts...
Bastards:
Ed Sheeran Sig Martin LX1E, 1st ed.
Billie Joe Armstrong Gibson LP Jr, 1st year

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:35 am 
Kramer Maniac

As described... wondering if any of you have seen this type of repair before? Upon examination, I don't think it's a shell casing, but who knows? I got this body with a trade and had little expectation for it. But upon examination, these appear really solid. They look like hell, but it's just sloppy stain and clear splatter. I would love to know what material this is, because the inner diameter matches an OFR post almost perfectly; at most there might be 0.1mm play, so if needed I thought about a wrap of copper tape around the upper post so the posts fit snug.

Not sure what to do with it - It's a homemade refinish, sanded to the wood and then looks like cherry furniture stain, slightly wavy surfaces from uneven hand sanding, plus the edges are lighter where stain didn't stick or was sanded, overall rustic feel, clear appears very home spray, maybe even rub on. I didn't like it at first, kept imagining complicated refinishing schemes, but it's sort growing on me, now thinking maybe just slap a neck on there and give it a go like this.

Would love to know what people think of these Floyd post "reinforcement sleeves" and it you've ever seen it before. This body was purchased from guy in New York.

Classic II red Tele
Ferrington red Tele
81 Pioneer Bass
various Foci
various pieces parts...
Bastards:
Ed Sheeran Sig Martin LX1E, 1st ed.
Billie Joe Armstrong Gibson LP Jr, 1st year

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:54 am 
Kramer Maniac

Sleeves protudes so the Floyd cannot be lowered in the cavity. At the same time, the neck pocket doesn't seems very deep such, at the end, it might work just fine. If it was mine, I'd replace sleeves by regular Floyd bushings posts fitted flush, then I'd machine the neck cavity deeper and refinish that baby in creme or such solid color.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:32 am 
Kramer Kommander

I'd cut off the protruding part with a dremel if there's enough room to get there. They you could leve them as-is and use the old style wood screws.

Otherwise, remove and replace with bushings.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:14 am 
Kramer Maniac

I agree with the above, cutoff excess; or even remove and cutoff then reinstall (If dremel or another tool cannot get at it).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:40 am 
KF ADMIN

A small diamond point rotary tool in the Dremel would easily work for making the tubing level with the top of the recess.

Let me know if you need one as I have them coming out my ears for other tasks....

Payback for the solid you did me last month Doc......

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:23 am 
Kramer Kommander

Need to look at the threaded part too.
That area can develop slop & needs to be fixed up as well.