Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:23 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:19 pm 
Kramer Kommander

I had this korean RG470 neck in my stash for several years, it was broken at the scarf joint but luckily the fretboard stayed in one piece and it was thus easy to re-glue. Since I can't sell it for any serious money, I was looking for a cheap body to make a mutt with it.

Recently this beautiful RG320 body popped up in ebay for mere $30, so I pulled the trigger. Basswood with thin maple veneer, the redburst looks awesome in reality, the photos with flash just can't capture it properly - really deep, intense burst. The only thing to repair is the nasty chip visible in the pics, it won't be perfect but should be barely visible after I'm done. Otherwise the body is like new.

I was lucky, the neck fits perfectly with the original screw holes and the previous owner already had the modern fine-threaded OFR bushings installed :toast Basically it can't be called a project, rather a simple assembly.

I had this Gotoh in my parts box, several pups to choose from (I'll go with the Jason Becker model in the bridge and a Pearly in the neck first), so I just have to repair the chip, polish the frets and the back of the neck, cut a new electronics cover and assemble it all. Quite sure it'll be killer, now I have a nice project for the holidays :thumbs Will keep you updated.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:26 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Awesome man! Looks really nice. Let me know how it plays. I actually just came across a mint condition Ibanez RGT5EX locally for $80. I jumped on it as it is one of their only neck through models and the guitar looks as if it’s hardly ever been played. I have an EMG 81/85 quick connect set I’m going to throw in there, I’m looking for a black Gotoh Trem now to replace the cheap Korean edge. Pretty simple project, similar to yours. Fret polish, assemble, adjustment and ready to rock.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:36 pm 
Kramer Maniac

It looks great, Sergej and I much prefer the 2 hum configuration as opposed to the HSH typical ibby shredder. :toast

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:34 am 
Kramer Kingpin

That looks like a pretty cool little pastime project for the holidays :headbang . What do you have in mind for the paint chip?

Great Deals with MrWhipper, JoeyM, Del Hudson, skydive69 and Kramer Classic I :thumbs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:57 am 
Kramer Kommander

Filler and then red-stained shellac, hope it works. Won't be able to do the flame pattern either way but hey, it'a $50 parts axe (neck and body) so whatever.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:10 pm 
Kramer Kommander

Update - almost done. The finish repair with shellac didn't work out very well, but sufficient for me. Other than that it only needs some slight fret leveling and it's done.

Green knobs are just for kicks, I had them in my box for ages and kinda fits Ibanez well. Sounds and plays great with the Becker/Pearly pickup combo :thumbs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:47 am 
Kramer Kingpin

Great Deals with MrWhipper, JoeyM, Del Hudson, skydive69 and Kramer Classic I :thumbs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:55 pm 
Kramer Maniac

_xxx_ wrote:
I had this korean RG470 neck in my stash for several years, it was broken at the scarf joint but luckily the fretboard stayed in one piece and it was thus easy to re-glue. Since I can't sell it for any serious money, I was looking for a cheap body to make a mutt with it.

Recently this beautiful RG320 body popped up in ebay for mere $30, so I pulled the trigger. Basswood with thin maple veneer, the redburst looks awesome in reality, the photos with flash just can't capture it properly - really deep, intense burst. The only thing to repair is the nasty chip visible in the pics, it won't be perfect but should be barely visible after I'm done. Otherwise the body is like new.

I was lucky, the neck fits perfectly with the original screw holes and the previous owner already had the modern fine-threaded OFR bushings installed :toast Basically it can't be called a project, rather a simple assembly.

I had this Gotoh in my parts box, several pups to choose from (I'll go with the Jason Becker model in the bridge and a Pearly in the neck first), so I just have to repair the chip, polish the frets and the back of the neck, cut a new electronics cover and assemble it all. Quite sure it'll be killer, now I have a nice project for the holidays :thumbs Will keep you updated.

nice lookin iby kickstart,wishin had not gotten rid of my 1992 rg570L,it was a player with a wide thin neck,super fast fretboard,but i hated the pups,and like a dumbass traded it for a schecter banshee flyod with actives...

there is a 2008 ibanez 1570L prestiege for sale by me for 600 with case,may have to go take a look since u are givin me the gas for a iby again!! thx man,lol

edit.. mine had the standard h/s/h setup...never found a h/h lefty iby.

86 Kramer Pacer Custom
1992 ibanez 170L
(all leftys)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:14 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Great job, turned out very good!!! I love the color of that body... I bet she plays like butter. :not

86 Focus 3000
87 Focus 1000
89 Baretta
99 Les Paul Classic
2013 Edwards E-LP-125ALS
Pre-04 Edwards Les Paul Custom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:48 pm 
Kramer Kommander

She does :headbang

They have many models with 2 hums, usually with -20 at the end of the model name like S420 or RG320. Dunno about lefties though. Their stock Ibanez/DMZ pups really suck though, dunno why they put those into the prestige etc. series.