Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:53 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Some thoughts on FR Pro
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:23 am 
Kramer Maniac

I want to share my experiences with the different Floyd Rose Pro units with you:
The most important difference is due to manufacture - APMW (Kahler) versus Schaller made ones.
The APMW has a "staggered" baseplate and uses equal saddles, the Schallers have a plain baseplate and 3 pairs for the correct radius.
Image (left: Schaller - right APMW)
The Schaller pictured was modded by a previous owner: enlarged and out-centered screw holes to fit a huge brass sustain block. This leads to the next big difference:
The APMW units use smaller screws/different threads than the Schaller ones (M5 screw) - so no regular big brass block will fit an APMW floyd!....and the original APMW blocks are rather thin....

And although not really necessary, the spacing of the 3 mounting screws for the block is slightly different from an OFR....

I plan to use homemade big brass blocks for both units (with M4 for APMW and M5 for Schaller ones)....

Andi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:29 am 
Kramer Maniac

Thanks, Andi, that is super helpful, and I really appreciate it! It's actually even more interesting to me to know that some of them were made by Kahler and have that staggered construction, as I've got a Kahler Steeler that I was getting ready to install and try it out in a Kramer to see how it performs, just haven't had time because too busy. Steeler was their top of line and also most similar to FR in form, although a bit more mass than an FR, and I've been eager to try it out. It has some things in common with your FR Pro in pic, and also some differences. I'll try to make time tomorrow to deconstruct it and post up some pics.
Thanks again for that info!!

Classic II red Tele
Ferrington red Tele
81 Pioneer Bass
various Foci
various pieces parts...
Bastards:
Ed Sheeran Sig Martin LX1E, 1st ed.
Billie Joe Armstrong Gibson LP Jr, 1st year

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:26 am 
Kramer Maniac

You can fit a brass block to the APMW Pro with some mods. Clearance the edge as shown, hog out the spring plate holes, open up the block mounting screw holes, and....the last step was to actually shave the tops of the screw heads to fit recessed into the countersink! Hey, it worked.
ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:58 am 
Kramer Maniac

Heinz wrote:
You can fit a brass block to the APMW Pro with some mods. Clearance the edge as shown, hog out the spring plate holes, open up the block mounting screw holes, and....the last step was to actually shave the tops of the screw heads to fit recessed into the countersink! Hey, it worked.

Great info, but before i modify a comercially available block i build my own - then still the smaller screw size and way cheaper....

Andi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:59 am 
Kramer Maniac

Also a good way to go!

When I ordered that block, I had not yet found out that there were two different versions. So, I MADE the mofo work, LOL.