Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:23 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:15 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Fall has finally arrived, and for the first time since I bought it back in June, the humidity dropped enough that I was able to start spraying a lacquer finish on my Musikraft banana neck. I've had great results with wipe-on finishes, but I decided to try an aerosol lacquer finish for this one. I fully expected this to be a learning experience, and indeed it was.

The neck came with a thin lacquer sealer coat, so I started with a can of Stewmac vintage amber. As I began spraying, I immediately saw that the tint was way too intense. I had to strip it and start over with two coats of clear. I'm about ready to try again with the tint, I have a few questions for those of you who have sprayed finishes before:

1. I did warm the can in hot water before I started, but I noticed after I had sprayed that it recommended shaking the can for two minutes. I only shook it for about 30 seconds, could that have been part of my problem? Maybe the tint wasn't mixed well enough?

2. Should I use a different technique for spraying the tinted coat? All I want is a subtle tint, should I spray from further away?

3. I see lots of advice to mist color coats or tint coats. What is the proper way to mist, does it involve shorter bursts of spraying or quicker passes?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:06 am 
Kramer Kommander

I'd do amber stain and then clear without tint to make sure the color is right.