Welcome to the Kramer Forum

Kramer Forum - dedicated to Kramer guitars and basses, instruments for rock musicians.
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:48 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:51 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Seeing as not many have posted in the "Kramer Kousins" category, figured I'd give it a go.

I first became interested in the Gary Kramer brand after watching a YouTube video of Anton Oparin play a custom version. See below:

After watching this, I went ahead and looked up these guitars on http://garykramerguitar.com/

The style that caught my eyes were the Crusader Deluxe series which are made in Korea http://www.garykramerguitar.com/CrusaderDeluxe.html

-----
Specs from website:
CONSTRUCTION
Bolt on
25.5” scale

NECK
Satin Finished Maple
10” radius Maple
Black position dots
22 jumbo frets

BODY
Alder
Slanted Neck Heel Section
Available in Black, While or Candy Apple Red Finishes

HARDWARE
Non-recessed Floyd Rose Original
R-2 locking nut (42mm wide)
Chrome

ELECTRONICS
Pickguard mounted H/H Gary Kramer Alnico pickups
Volume, Tone, 3-way blade switch and mini switch (splits both pickups)
6 sound combination switching system

-----

If memory serves me right, these came out around 2009 and had the big 'Gary Kramer' non-cursive lettering on them. There was also newer models of these guitars with the cursive scripts that I think were after 2010. Could be wrong, I need to brush up on my history of these...

Anyhow, I managed to buy an '09 era version in white off of John (Kramer Classic I) back in 2011. I am the third and final owner of this guitar. First being Shane (Brokerguy - RIP), John, then me.

Here are the pictures of when I received the guitar. I asked John to take the guitar apart to avoid any breakage during shipping:

Jason Becker and I:

Marty Friedman and I:

Chargeeee and Jordan Ziff setting up:

Ended up switching up the stock pickups to a Seymour Duncan Jazz and JB setup...

Neck has to be removed for easy pickguard removal:

Hum-Hum body routing:

JB and Jazz installed and re-strung:

Generation Axe tour - Vai, Wylde, Malmsteen, Abasi, and Bettencourt:

-----

I have recently retired the guitar in fear of the signatures getting smudged... I'm still a bit bummed about the retirement as this was one hot shredding guitar... Definitely a "looker" in my opinion.

I will be posting video recordings of me playing this guitar prior to retirement. I'll upload them soon.

Great Transactions with: JeffInCLE, warrenp099, kylemcm, popvamp, KRAMER Classic I, Coloradoman25, fourk, amerturk :headbang

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:20 pm 
Kramer Maniac

I've had one. I found it decent player. I remember liking neck design (glued mapple fretboard on mapple neck). Mine was was charcoal grey. I sold it to fund tax for home. [ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:14 am 
Kramer Kingpin

Some good looking Kousins there :thumbs .

Great Deals with MrWhipper, JoeyM, Del Hudson, skydive69 and Kramer Classic I :thumbs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:02 am 
Kramer Kingpin

You could get a protective clear, one-sided sticky thing to put over them. Cut it out to the body shape. Won't be noticeable. Just a thought.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:26 pm 
Kramer Maniac

Nice pics. They never get old seeing the history of your guitar and the people who have viewed it. Much envy here bro. :not I almost bought a GK guitar a few years ago when one sat on the Phoenix CL forever and the seller kept dropping his price. Well, you snooze you lose. Somebody had a different threshold and I lost out. It was black, so it was low on my desirability meter.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:14 am 
Kramer Maniac

Nice write-up, Ace! Too bad you can't play it anymore. Some people would sand the clear on a guitar body with 2,000 grit sandpaper before having it signed. That way they could apply clear over the signatures and lock them in permanently.

Good deals with: muttznmongrelz (x2), eddiedbone, brokrguy, jumbowolfe (x2), amerturk, Full Crib, smorgdonkey, aceman_831, pointyheadstock, charv712 (x2), Tourpicx, ferengi-bri, SGTCLOUGH, EDIEVRULZ, DarthPhineas (x2), bacon, mrwhipper, Louthedog, moku...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:01 pm 
Kramer Maniac

I have the newer version, Illusionist Artica, picked it up from a Forum Bro here a while back. I think it's a sweet guitar.
I like what you've done with yours too, love the sig's.

I always wonder what Jason thinks these days taking pics in his condition. Great guy, life really F'd him over. Great talent. Hate to image all the struggles he's gone through.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:19 pm 
Kramer Maniac

The neck was redrilled??

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:38 pm 
KF ADMIN

How does it differ from an R2 neck Imperial?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:53 am 
Kramer Maniac

Apologies for the uberly delayed reply!

Sluggy wrote:
The neck was redrilled??

That was something that I observed right when I removed the neck. It may have been due to improper alignment in the factory during production. From what I know, Shane and John kept this guitar bone stock since day 1 so the re-drill definitely occurred at the factory. If you look very closely in the photo, the doweled holes are not parallel to the current holes, one would assume it was crooked in the jig prior to drilling with their machines.

It would be nice to hear from Frunobulax if his GKG also has that issue (even though his neck has the script logo).

menace wrote:
How does it differ from an R2 neck Imperial?

The neck on this guitar is just a tad bit thinner than my Musikraft neck on the purple imperial which has the dimensions 0.83" to 0.92" and is more thicker than my MIM Fender Fat strat. Reason why I mention these two guitars is because I'm still waiting for one of the bros to send me a real Imperial to play :whistle.

I know that info didn't help much, but I measured with my calipers a while back and it was 0.83" on the first fret (I am confident about this number) and somewhere between 0.90-0.92" on the twelfth fret (I wrote my exact information down somewhere but lost it). These were measurements made with direct contact on the wood.

After responding to your question, I feel like I should measure all of the necks on my guitars and log those numbers. Definitely would be of some value for future builds...

Great Transactions with: JeffInCLE, warrenp099, kylemcm, popvamp, KRAMER Classic I, Coloradoman25, fourk, amerturk :headbang